ENGINEERING PROJECTS ‒ INDUSTRIAL
Technical Support – Detail Engineering
2015-2016Project Description +
McInnis Cement is a state-of-the-art cement plant that serves North America. The Port-Daniel-Gascons plant, in the Gaspé Peninsula, which is scheduled to be operational in the spring of 2017, is one of the largest industrial projects in Quebec. The plant's goal is to supply its customers with superior-quality cement to be consistently produced in compliance with the Canadian environmental standards (including Ontario, Quebec and The Maritimes) and the most recent regulations of the Environmental Protection Agency, known to be the most stringent regulations in the world.
As part of the mandate, LDV Consultants provided the resources needed to carry out the following:
- Provide the detail engineering to manufacture, install and commission the plant's piping system;
- Ensure the follow-up and/or procurement of the piping, HVAC, compressors and other mechanical equipment;
- Complete the technical portion of the fire protection system;
- Oversee coordination of the various equipment lots.
LDV was also in charge of carrying out the following:
- Drawings, 3D modeling, technical specifications, inspection plans;
- Follow-up on site and in the workshop.
Sunny Corner Enterprises Inc.
2014Project Description +
Sunny Corner Enterprises was mandated by Tata Steel to manufacture and install the process piping at the DSO Timmins site in Labrador, near Schefferville. Having participated actively in the piping design and 3D modeling, LDV was recommended by Tata Steel to Sunny Corner Enterprises to carry out the engineering for the following:
- Provide the loads of all piping supports and anchoring systems to design the secondary steel;
- Include all supports in the 3D modeling for all steel piping lines sized 4 inches or more;
- Produce the building isometrics for all steel piping lines sized 4 inches or more.
Providence, Rhode Island
Design a Bitumen Loading Platform
2014Project Description +
Bitumar is a privately owned company specializing in the production of liquid bitumen used in asphalt blends for road paving as well as for the roofing industry.
To facilitate the loading of the trucks that transport the bitumen to various users, Bitumar had identified the need to build a loading platform for its plant in Providence, Rhode Island. The 400°F piping system had to travel from the processing plant to the rail cars used as temporary holding tanks. The bitumen then had to be transported to the loading platform where the trucks are filled. LDV Consultants was mandated to provide the engineering for the structure that would support the piping. As part of the mandate, LDV carried out the following:
- Design the supports for the piping that transports the bitumen to the loading platform;
- Perform the calculations for the concrete foundations and anchoring systems;
- Perform the calculations for the loading platform structure;
- Perform the structural calculations for the temporary tank walkways.
All calculations were performed according to the standards enforced in the State of Rhode Island.
Meadowbank, Nunavut Territories
Agnico Eagle Limited
Design and Analyze a Cyclone-Type Tank
2013Project Description +
The Meadowbank open-pit mine, Agnico Eagle's first Low Arctic mine, produces the largest quantity of gold. The mine was commissioned in 2010 and the Portage deposit achieved commercial production the same year.
The original tank of the cyclone-type separators caused several production problems at the concentrator. LDV Consultants was mandated by Agnico Eagle Limited to assist them in designing and producing the drawings for a new tank.
As part of the mandate, LDV Consultants carried out, among other things, the following:
- Model the new tank;
- Perform a finite element analysis of the tank;
- Validate the steel frame supporting the tank;
- Produce the drawings needed to manufacture the tank.
EXPO Mine, Quebec (Nunavik)
Canadian Royalties Inc.
Preliminary Detail Engineering of a Ventilation System for the Nickel Concentrator
Instrumentation and Controls
2013Project Description +
Canadian Royalties is a mining company that operated a nickel and copper mine in Nunavik.
Several contaminants were airborne in the concentrator due to inadequate ventilation. Canadian Royalties mandated LDV Consultants to provide technical support to its engineering team to fix the problem.
In phase 1 of the mandate, LDV Consultants carried out the following:
- Validate the technical solution proposed by a contractor and identify the critical zones;
- Prioritize the work and set a preliminary schedule;
- Analyze the impact of the changes to the ventilation on the glycol and electrical systems;
- Produce a preliminary layout.
In phase 2 of the mandate, LDV Consultants carried out the detail engineering, namely:
- Perform calculations for the fans, glycol pumps, electrical system capacity, piping supports and concrete foundations;
- Specify the equipment to be purchased;
- Design the P&ID for the ventilation and glycol systems;
- Supply the installation drawings for the fans, pumps and electrical connections;
- Provide the isometric drawings.