ENGINEERING PROJECTS - MANUFACTURING
Retro-Design a Yogurt Pouch Filling System
Ultima Foods has been recognized as a major player in the food industry for more than 40 years. The company offers a wide variety of dairy products, and more specifically yogurt, sold across Canada.
Ultima Foods wanted to increase its production capacity. To do so, it needed a new yogurt pouch filling system. Given that the machine available on the market did not fully meet their production criteria, LDV was mandated to perform the engineering needed to ensure that the new machine met production needs. As part of the mandate, LDV carried out, among other things, the following:
- Perform dimensional checks on the new machine and on the one already installed in the plant;
- Model the new filling system;
- Calculate the operational clearances;
- Perform a finite element analysis of a new support for the filling system;
- Prepare the drawings;
- Provide support during manufacturing.
LDV's organisational skills and timeliness of performance allowed Ultima Foods to start production as planned.
Next-Gen EPS Harmonic and Thermal Analysis
Kongsberg Automotive, together with its clients from the industrial and transportation sectors, specializes since 1988 in the design, development and manufacturing of integrated quality and high value-added solutions for the field of electronics and electro-mechanics.
During the design phase of an electronic controller, Kongsberg Automotive wanted to make sure that the controller would operate properly. LDV was therefore mandated to perform a finite element analysis to determine displacement with various loads. LDV carried out the following:
- Perform structural analysis with a thermal load to simulate variations in operating temperatures;
- Perform harmonic analysis to simulate potential vibrations on the component during operations;
- Perform modal analysis to validate some of the material properties with the vibration tests carried out by Kongsberg Automotive.
This project allowed us to determine maximum displacement during the electronic assembly operation. It also made it possible to show that the assumptions made by Kongsberg Automotive as they pertained to the materials, did not reflect reality. LDV was able to provide Kongsberg Automotive with more accurate values for this material.
On-Site Technical Support (Lime Plant)
A global leader in the supply of lime and limestone products, Graymont serves major markets throughout the United States and Canada, and has extended its reach into the Asia-Pacific region.
For its lime plant in Bedford, Graymont mandated LDV Consultants to provide technical support for various projects.
As part of the mandate, LDV carried out the following:
- Install a blower and air knife system to clean the belts;
- Replace an end-of-life-cycle screen around which a building had been built;
- Replace a damaged conveyor frame without removing the conveyor;
- Design a walkway for the preheater frame to facilitate access to the equipment;
- Plan a shutdown of the crushing department at the Bedford plant;
- Review and validate the design of a screw conveyor;
- Validate a reducing gear installed on a conveyor;
- Replace a chute.
Design an Ice Maker
Ceptek Technologies specializes in building services engineering, thermal processes and industrial refrigeration. The company focuses on research, development and innovation to develop solutions that will maximize the overall efficiency of industrial refrigeration processes.
Ceptek designs and manufactures refrigeration and heat recovery systems using natural refrigerants, namely carbon dioxide, ammoniac, water and propane. Its R&D process is driven by four key priorities, i.e. protection of the environment, economy of resources, performance and energy efficiency.
As part of the project, the design of a parameterized and editable 3D model to help advance the ideas set forward during the engineering phase of an ice maker carried out jointly with LDV's team and Ceptek's personnel, set the groundwork for designing the new equipment.
Camoplast Solideal Inc.
Provide Technical Support to Solve a Digital Model
Camoplast Solideal is a world leader specialized in the design, manufacturing and distribution of off-road tires, wheels, rubber tracks and running gear systems for the material handling, construction, agriculture, motorized sports and defense industries.
Camoplast was in the process of digitally simulating a virtual prototype when they ran into problems. It is in this context that an LDV expert was brought in by Camoplast to provide technical support to help solve the digital model.
LDV was mandated to review the model, make the necessary changes and solve the problem.